Thursday 17 April 2008

Hotels, The M25 and Sun-dried Tomatoes!

It's been a long week this week, but a good one I think :-s

I'm making good (but still not fast enough!) progress on a major project at work, however this is resulting in me working long days and having to put pretty much everything on hold - including more important things such as keeping in touch with friends. Work to live, not live to work as they say.

On the other hand, some of the things I do at work are enabling me to meet more new people which is great - if only they were all in their early twenties and hot girls. One of the thing's I've always struggled with is business meetings with people I don't know. I don't know why - maybe it's human nature to know what you are up against or to know your opponent.

Anyway, since starting my job I am glad to say that this appears to improve every week at the moment. Now, if I am asked to present or participate on a tc (telephone-conference) I refrain from researching the call participants (which I used to do before). I've found out that if I know where the other call or team members are in the pecking order, that only makes me nervous.

Today for example, I rocked up to a call - did my thing and then found out later that one of the managers on the call rang one of his staff members and told him that he'd do well to have the confidence I have. Which is always nice to know I guess, even if I don't think I have that confidence!

The biggest achievement of the week is that I think we have managed to find a hotel for our visit to the Oktoberfest in September. The owner sounds like that guy off' Little Britain - the one who says "yeesssss" all the time, but you can't have everything I guess!

2 and 1/2 hours today were spent on the M25, which is not bad going considering I've been sat on it for 3 going just one way before. I still hate the road though - the only motorway that is a constant car park. NCP would have a field day with it.

My latest food / recipe is actually just an assembly job, but it's a great light bite - or you could cut it into chunks and serves as nibbles (with a decent bottle of Champers of course).

Smoked Salmon and Sun-dried Tomato Bagels

What you need:
Pack of smoked salmon (Circa £3 from Morrisons this one was!)
Decent, fresh bagels
Philadelphia cream cheese
Sun-Dried tomatoes (I picked these up from Sainsbury's - they are in a sort of yogurt tub with garlic and olive oil.

What you need to do:
1) Cut the bagels in half and pop them under the grill - with the insides facing up.
2) Whilst they are toasting, chop the tomatoes slices into 1/3's.
3) Spread the bagels with the cream cheese.
4) Sprinkle over the tomatoes
5) Cut the salmon into strips and pop over the tomatoes.
6) Serve

Just in case you don't know what a sundried tomato looks like, here is a picture:


These make great light snacks - for example Thursday night is swim night, so I don't want to eat anything too heavy, these make a nice supper.

I don't know if anyone has actually tried my concoctions, if you have, let me know if you like them!

Today I called into the supermarket on my way home and bought a bottle of wine. So expect a review at some point - I think it's unfair to review gadgets, but not alcohol.

No comments: